Friday, March 19, 2010

On being a democratic knitter...

In my previous post, I mentioned that I purchased my yarn at a craft store. I'm no knitting snob. I don't see the point of spending an obscene amount of money on tools and supplies at the LYS if I can find them at a lower price at Michaels or online. That doesn't mean I possess indiscriminate tastes when it comes to knitting; I look for a balance of value and quality. I listen to the experts, not to the snobs.

The projects I post will therefore be available to all knitters. Sometimes I may have found premium yarn at a discount price, and I encourage you to do the same. Look on eBay or Craigslist, or swap with other knitters. Use coupons. Look for sales and clearances. My advice holds for all types of crafters: you don't have to be loaded to produce quality crafts.

One of my favorite yarns is Caron Simply Soft. It comes in an impressive variety of colors, and it knits up very nicely. Michaels runs 2-for-$5 specials on Simply Soft quite often! Loops & Threads Snuggly Wuggly, the new proprietary brand at Michaels, makes fabulous baby items. And who doesn't love a dishcloth knit from super-affordable Sugar'n Cream? Occasionally, I stop by the LYS (The Knitting Corner) to check out their clearance bin. I've found some wonderful yarns there. The ladies at TKC also possess a wealth of knowledge. If you're in the area, go there!

I do not skimp on needles, however. Needles are the durable goods in your knitting bag; choose them well. I prefer wood over metal, and I don't mind paying a little extra for needles that will last and that will make things easier on me in the long run. (As I've mentioned, I have early-onset arthritis, and metal needles, with their coldness and inflexibility, tend to exacerbate the condition.) Clover (bamboo) and Brittany (birch) make up the majority of my needle stock. I have some Lantern Moon needles -- a set of single-points and one circular needle -- that were a gift from my fellow creatively minded dad, but purchasing them regularly would bankrupt me. If someone gives you an expensive knitting-related gift, cherish it!

My point here is that, while there are costs associated with the craft of knitting, one can keep expenses down by being a smart shopper and by not worrying about what the snobs think. And really, doesn't that go for everything in life?

2 comments:

  1. How about selling the stuff you knit?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry, I just started checking my comments. Right now, among other things, I'm knitting items to sell on Etsy. I'll post a link here when I open the store!

    ReplyDelete