Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Knitting projects: March 2010

What am I working on? A felted knitting needle case, a third baby sweater set for Etsy, and a sweater for my niece.

The needle case is taking forever, naturally, because felting involves knitting a much bigger piece of fabric than one needs. (The fabric shrinks quite a bit during felting.) I'm trying to be patient with myself, using the needle case as "therapy knitting" between baby sweaters. I'm also taking pictures of the needle case as it progresses, so I'll be able to post a step-by-step.

The baby sweater sets are a little complicated, but still very fun to make. A set consists of a hat, a wrap sweater, and a pair of booties. I've made so many booties from this particular pattern that I can now make them without looking at the pattern. I've even thrown in some embellishment without screwing up the finished booties. I love it. This must be how my grandmother knitted: from memory, from intuition.

The sweater for my niece continues to be a pain in my butt. This item represents the first time I altered my basic wrap-sweater pattern. I altered EVERYTHING: the yarn, the gauge, the finished size, the fastenings. It's coming together, though, and I should be able to fit it on the kid later this week while I'm visiting my sister.

I've always been a more skilled editor than writer, hence the compulsive pattern alterations. I've designed several items from scratch, which is satisfying in itself, but I do relish a good alteration. Perhaps I am a knitgeek.

What's in the future for my knitting? More needle cases and other felted items (contingent upon a successful first attempt), and perhaps some summer goodies (cotton tank tops), some gift items, and definitely more baby stuff. (Note: I'll open the Etsy shop after I finish this darn baby set!)

I'll be out of town for several days, but I'm itching to post my favorite brownie recipe (and some step-by-step photos) when I get back!

No comments:

Post a Comment