Friday, October 30, 2009

Biscuits!

I don't know where I got this recipe, or how much I have tweaked it, but these are still the best biscuits I've ever made. I copied the text here from my old MySpace blog. Fun times.

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
6 tbsp butter
3/4 cup buttermilk

Heat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Sift together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar into a large bowl. Cut in butter until coarse crumbs form. Gradually mix in buttermilk with a fork to make a soft dough, kneading as little as possible. Roll dough to 1/2-inch thickness on a piece of parchment paper or a floured surface and cut into 2-inch rounds. Bake on a cookie sheet for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Makes 9-12 biscuits. (I cheat and bake my biscuits on a piece of parchment paper. Can you tell I love parchment paper?)

***

All you carb-counters can kiss my bread-fed butt, because biscuits are good for your soul, and these biscuits in particular are it. Slather 'em with butter, melt some cheese on 'em, or eat 'em by themselves . . . yum. For all the non-American food I enjoy, there is nothing like a good old-fashioned Southern biscuit.

No comments:

Post a Comment